All these events and changes, including the coming of the railway in the 1880s and the impact of the war, are captured in two volumes of Hayes History, copies of which can be found in our local libraries, together with a film which also seeks to reflect the local interest and the memories that link to its past through interviews with local people is also available.
Click on picture to go to Hayes History site
For a large part of its history Hayes was a settled community, but as elsewhere in the UK the last 100 years have seen large change. The country estates have made way for the new housing estates and suburban life. The country manor, Hayes Place, which was on the opposite side of the road to St Mary’s Church, was demolished in 1933. Pickhurst Manor was also demolished.
These pages are dedicated to all the residents of West Wickham and Hayes in the South East Region of Kent. Oral History is supported and sponsored by clubs and businesses in the local community. The Friends of West Wickham Library ensure personal details of those wishing to become involved are kept private unless otherwise stated.
We would like to hear from you
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 020 8462 2822
In association with Spring Park Film Makers
Sponsored by Footprint Productions
Pictures from the Past
Mr.Bill Tonkin, an avid collector of old postcards, has given us the chance to view Hayes at the start of the 1900s onwards. Click picture to view the history of the school.
Click on the picture for more information and to see its demise.